Thursday 26 February 2015

PROPS FOR MOVIE: NEWSPAPER PROPS AND ASHTRAY PROPS

PROPS FOR MOVIE: NEWSPAPER PROPS


I have been set the task to critically observe any reliable websites, In particular Amazon and eBay, to find suitable newspaper props for our film. On eBay I managed to find some pictures of newspapers which I think will be very well suited for our film and the era that it is set in. Here are some of the props that i found on eBay:



I found these photos in particular to be the most suitable because both newspapers are set near the time of our film period and I found that the pictures and the typo are all in black, which was the case with all newspapers in this time period. We also needed to consider whether the newspapers were published in America or the UK for the simple reason that when I think of detectives, i usually associate them with a American nationality.

The second picture that I screen shotted might be slightly controversial because there are props from the movie THE GOONIES. Although this film has nothing to do with detectives, the movie has the aurora of suspense and mystery which perfectly correlates to our film. The copper bone key and Spanish doubloon could be a valuable asset to our film, but it is crucial that I speak with my other peers about this before hand.


Moreover, I also did some research on Amazon.co.uk and found some other promising props. Here is what I found:

This to me is more promising, especially the Chicago movie prop for obvious reasons. however, as you can see, the price is very high so it would be logical not to invest time an effort with this movie prop.

I also found a carving from a newspaper cutting from 1956 on eBay. This may not be the best piece of material, but If I can get my hands on this newspaper carving, I will be able to experiment with this piece, Maybe we could use this prop to create suspense of impose fear amongst the audience and the detective in the most drastic way possible.

Again on eBay, I also found this vintage Chicago today newspaper, this to be looks very authentic and definitely suits the disposition of our movie intro. the style really captivates the 1960's-70's era fully and one prop that should be deeply considered. I will also liaise with my peers to see wether they agree with my suggestion and I am confident that my peers will completely agree with me.

On eBay I also found this prop and I feel this can be deeply considered too, even though the time period is well out of date, the style is still similar.

ASHTRAY PROPS:

I Have also been asked to consider suitable ashtrays for the office scene. This was also a fairly easy task as I found eBay in particular to be the most reliable source. Here are some ashtrays I found in particular to be very suitable: 


For me, I am not sure whether these ashtrays are particularly suitable, however I particularly like the style of the ashtrays. Considering they fit the character of a laid back, non-serious detective. I thought that these styles of ashtrays would perfectly match with the detectives personality.

These ashtrays also caught my eye. Although there is a dancing couple on the 3rd ashtray, It can be easily covered. I was intrigued to the shape of the ashtray and this could definitely be suitable for the movie. The red and amoeba ashtray were made in the 60's, although not the most attractive looking ashtrays. It could be a match.


This ashtray is also very intriguing, I feel that this ashtray will fit perfectly with the personality of the detective, but will discuss with the group members before considering.

TYPEWRITER: 

Here my teacher very kindly ordered a stunning 1950's style typewriter. 

No comments:

Post a Comment